Thursday, November 20, 2008

The curse, I mean, gift, of loneliness?!

I always hear people talking about how Southeastern is a "bridal college" instead of a "Bible college". Apparently, people feel pressured to get married once they're here. It's true that Christian couples tend to marriage quicker. This added social pressure can make the single folk on campus feel slighted. We may think, "Did you miss giving me my blessing, God??"

Admittedly, my gift of singleness has turned into a curse of loneliness in past months. I had lost sight of what is most important in my life -- God and his will for me -- and focused on what I lacked and most wanted. I struggled through the "dark night of the soul" and was so frustrated for my inability to find a date (let alone find a spouse!). It's been a long process, but I've finally gotten to the point where God is the center of my life and my so-called needs are on the back burner. I trust fully (well, for the most part... I'm working on it though) his will, whether that means I will find someone or not. I'm not in a rush anymore; my sole purpose on this earth is not to be a husband or father, but an exemplar of Christ. I must work on that task first and count what I do have, rather than what I lack.

My biggest concern now is the underlying theme of loneliness that is found quite often in singles. To me, loneliness has seemed like my red-headed stepchild or cockroaches: always around, but not really welcomed. Yet I know that loneliness -- truly being alone, as in having no friends, no family, no self-love -- does not exist in Christians. They have a friend that truly cares for them, even when family or romantic relationships fail. At the risk of sounding cliche, I honestly believe in his neverending presence -- whether I'm single, engaged, married, widowed, divorced, or all of the above. He has asked me, "Did I not say I would never leave nor forsake you?"

One of the reasons why I believe I've been given this propensity for being lonely is because God trusts me to be a messenger of his peace for others who may have a far worse case. I can better empathize with people who are alone, giving me an opportunity to more passionately share his love. He's allowing me to go through these personal deserts in order to better communicate to others about the rest and hydration found in oases. This is an honorable responsibility that I honestly believe I can handle. I mean, I've made it this far.

So in my realization, I know I must go be a friend to the friendless. I can be an instrument of His peace, as Francis of Assisi once said. I know that he is redeeming my past hurts in order to make my life a masterpiece for his glory. He has got my best interests at heart, regardless of how connected I feel to others. What matters is that I'm connected to him.

No comments: