Friday, November 28, 2008

My Black Friday Adventure

Black Friday has always seemed like something cool, but I've always envied others for doing it. I know it doesn't make sense why I've never participated in these said events if I think it'd be so cool, but it's true: I've always wanted to go to stores early in the morning to buy things ridiculously cheap. So naturally I was very excited when "J Birdie" (not his real name) and Cristy asked me to join them.

  • Our adventure started with us arriving at BestBuy at 2:30 (in the morning) in order to secure a good spot in line for the store's 5am opening. Our goal was to be able to secure a laptop of which the store had limited quantities.However, a few hundred crafty (and very intense) people beat us to the punch. Even though we were almost three hours early, we apparently weren't early enough. J Birdie befriended a gentleman who resembled T-Pain, except we couldn't understand him because of the gold plates on the front of his teeth.
  • We left after J Birdie got a voucher for a computer and got something to eat at Whataburger (lobby open 24hrs). By the time we got back to BestBuy, the 5am gates of paradise -- I mean doors -- opened. We (well, J Birdie) spent from 5:15-7:00 waiting in line to actually purchase the computer. As an aside, the deals at BB were only good if you were buying something huge like a TV or computer, not for the majority of DVDs and CDs. I was done with the place by 5:15, but of course J Birdie was in line.
  • By 7:15, we were out of the store. I'd already taken Cristy to work, so it was J Birdie and I to take on the world -- well, if you count Walmart, Target, Circuit City and the mall as the world.
  • After the BestBuy fracas, we headed to a more tamed Target, where the real deals were supposed to be. I grabbed the second season of Monk (at BestBuy for $43.99) for a measly $13.88. Trust me, I was very tempted to get the third season, but I put the temptation on hold, thinking the mall would hold some great deals for me.
  • After Target, we crossed the street to the mall. I was told earlier in the week by an Old Navy employee that the sales today would be "crazy good". And yet I was disappointed. I wanted that blazer more than anything but it was one of the only items not on sale. Go figure.
  • Got energy drink, which is always a good time for me when i have caffeine.
  • I headed to trusty Aeropostale and was pleased. I got a pair of jeans "half-off" for $25 and a T-shirt. Who would normally buy $50 jeans?? Certainly not me. Aeropostale wasn't a steal, but it was a deal nonetheless.
  • I grabbed J Birdie and we took a detour through Books a Million on our way to the parking lot. Don't get me wrong, BaM is my favorite hangout and store, but I was mad about their lack of sales. Maybe it was for my own interest that there weren't any books on sale; I wouldn't want to overdraw my checking account.
  • Went to Circuit City and left after two minutes. No wonder they're having problems, they don't have anything.
  • Went to another Target. I caved in and got the third season of Monk against my better judgment. Luckily, my partner in crime convinced me that I was making a smart investment in purchasing the season now while it's on sale.
  • Went to Walmart 1 and we were again disappointed with the lack of great sales (pertaining to our wants).
  • After this, I was plum-tickered out but we headed to Walmart 2. Nothing. I was done. We were done.

All in all, it was an event-filled morning. I had a good time hanging out with two of my best friends, but most of all, I got some cool stuff. All for under $50.

2 comments:

Ange said...

OMG Davina!! I'm so proud you got to experience "Black Friday". I've done it only 3 times, and that is enough for me. Hugh, rude, and aggresive crowds just don't do it for me.

headstrong gullibilty said...

yeah sorry about falling asleep and being crabby from sickness.
I'm glad you had fun regardless.